Re: Wireless dislike
From: Sue STIGLEMAN (sstiglemanbellsouth.net)
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2016 11:55:26 -0700 (PDT)
I agree that disagreements in cohousing are rarely settled by science.  We've
tried it with other issues and it hasn't worked well.
I don't see this particular disagreement ending well, for a number of
reasons:1.  Wireless is ubiquitous, inside and outside the boundaries of our
land.2.  We're a pretty high density community of 24 units, plus a common house
with wifi, so that's potentially 25 wireless networks right there, although
some people may have agreements to share.  2.  Several people in our community
work from home, and wireless seems to be a vital part of their work setups.3.
We provide wireless access in the Common House in order for people to get
easily to our online resources during meetings.   4.  Expecting that residents
stop using wireless means dictating to your neighbors how they organize their
own homes and and live in them.  It feels like a pretty intrusive expectation
to me.  5.  The particular person I've heard this from is a relatively new
owner, and I don't know why she didn't bring a laptop around before purchasing
and see how many networks there are, and then decide to move out into the
county.  It's not like wireless networks were hidden from her before they
purchased.  6.  I think a lot of us set up our phones to use our wireless while
we're at home, reducing our cell phone data costs (if that's still a thing --
cell phone payment plans change faster than I can keep up with.)
Perhaps we can all go in together on a common wireless network, reducing the
total from all of us to just one, although our Common house Internet provider
has said that that kind of redistribution is not allowed.  I also don't know
whether having fewer networks but with boosters to cover the whole community
provides any supposed "health benefits" over the situation we have now.
Just the thought of trying to have a community discussion on this issue,
especially since we are in the midst of trying to resolve several other
contentious issues, makes me profoundly exhausted.
--sue
Sue Stigleman sstigleman [at] bellsouth.net 828-989-9373