Re: Internet Service [was Wireless dislike]
From: John Carver (
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 12:41:19 -0700 (PDT)
On 23/07/2016 11:53 AM, Sue STIGLEMAN wrote:
Perhaps we can all go in together on a common wireless network, reducing the
total from all of us to just one, although our Common house Internet provider
has said that that kind of redistribution is not allowed.
Aha, a sticky point. It may vary by provider, but...
Our provider's agreement says the service cannot be resold. That is if I have the service and let my neighbours access it for a fee that would not be allowed. So how do we deal with that?

We have our building wired similar to what Sharon described. Any owner can connect to the common internet, or if they choose can get their service in directly. The customer for the common "community" internet is "The Owners, Strata Plan VIS 6825", which is how we're registered at land titles. So from our point of view we're not reselling, we're collectively buying.

Does the provider agree with this view? Well, they seem to be ok with it. Certainly the service people who come to the building and the business reps we've dealt with on the phone are quite well aware of what we're doing. It seems to be a fairly common thing to do anyway.

Ah well, I remember a time when you weren't allowed to own your own telephone. The wires and the phones attached to them all belonged to the phone company.

John Carver
Pacific Gardens Cohousing, Nanaimo, BC