Re: Good news from David Brooks of the NYT
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 04:15:18 -0700 (PDT)
This thread is about an article by David Brooks who is an Op-Ed
columnist for The New York Times in September 2003. He is currently a
commentator on "PBS NewsHour," NPR's "All Things Considered" and NBC's
"Meet the Press."

The commentary article "The Great Affluence Fallacy" has the tag line:
"Money can buy privacy, but privacy often makes life worse."

It ponders the widespread American preference for independence and automony
and how that contradicts the need for community.

He concludes with
>It wouldn't surprise me if the big change in the coming decades
>were this: an end to the apotheosis of freedom; more people making the
>modern equivalent of the Native American leap [by which he means
defecting to live a "communal and tribal life". ]

The article can be found via the shorter url:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/09/opinion/the-great-affluence-fallacy.html

--------
About this thread. (Sort of putting on my list manager hat)

The subject line:
"Good news from David Brooks of the NYT"
and the first line of the original post:
> A delightful surprise for cohousers who open this link.

struck me as rather close to all the phishing messages that sneak thru
spam filters.  It came from a reputable cohousing-L poster but
viruses can spoof the From: line of email (make it look like it came
from the stated sender even tho it came from the spammer).  I was also
put off by  the ugly 4 line url (which btw does work if you cut and
paste the whole thing). With other things on my plate I did not follow
the link till Susan reposted the long url as one long line which works
from the archives where I read cohousing-L.

I urge more substantive subject lines and descriptions of links
rather than ones that just say some variation of
"I think you should follow this link".

Maybe a subject line like:
"More communalism -- David Brooks of the NYT"

Fred, cohousing-L list manager

--
I support Hillary Clinton for President. ( formerly Bernie Sanders)