Re: Two homes for sale at Westwood Cohousing in Asheville, North Carolina -- update about links.
From: Muriel Kranowski (murielkvt.edu)
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 19:01:36 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 9:46 PM, Virgil Huston <virgil.huston1955 [at]
gmail.com>
wrote:

> ....My question is, is there anywhere in the US where cohousing is
> actually affordable for the unwashed masses? Is there any cohousing
> available for people who cannot afford $300K plus homes? I love the
> concept, but it certainly seems like a pretty elitist thing.

This issue comes up a lot here. My assumption is that a house in a
cohousing community will cost about the same as a much bigger house in a
similar (non-coho) neighborhood, because of the common elements, especially
the Common House, that goes into everyone's unit price.

Is my assumption right, or is cohousing really a lot more expensive than a
similar but bigger house in a somewhat equivalent middle or slightly
upper-middle class neighborhood?

By the way, we have two units for sale now at $230K and $250K. They're both
small, probably just right for 1 person or a couple, each with a space for
a roommate to help pay the mortgage. That doesn't seem very elitist to me.
But we're not in a major city or a happening place like Asheville.
   Muriel at Shadowlake Village Cohousing in Blacksburg