Re: Two homes for sale at Westwood Cohousing in Asheville, North Carolina -- update about links.
From: Sue STIGLEMAN (sstiglemanbellsouth.net)
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 19:52:38 -0700 (PDT)
In my experience here at Westwood, people fairly often assume that cohousing is
"affordable" housing, which isn't true for us at all.  The Asheville housing
market is high and growing steadily higher, and there is nothing in our legal
or physical structure that isolates or insulates us from that.  The original
developers investigated trying to have official affordable units before
construction but found that it was logistically impossible for them.
There is another community outside Asheville that is what I believe is called a
limited equity community, where each owner selling is allowed to sell for only
a certain percentage above what they bought for.  We are not set up that way,
and I don't know how successful it is at keeping their units affordable.
Our homes are well-constructed, which means they weren't cheap to start with.
We also have monthly assessments that include the common elements, good
insurance and a nice amount of saving for future maintenance, so we're not
inexpensive in that respect either after purchase.
I think being "affordable" means making some very different choices before
construction about size and amenities and living arrangements than are
typically made in American homes.
As Muriel said, there's been some good discussion about this in the past -- a
search in the archives would probably pull those conversations up.
My 2 cents.
--sue
 Sue Stigleman sstigleman [at] bellsouth.net 828-989-9373