Low Cost & Affordable Cohousing [was Two homes for sale at Westwood Cohousing in Asheville, North Carolina -- update about links.
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 08:51:06 -0700 (PDT)
There are a lot of posts in the archives on affordable and low income
cohousing. For construction tax breaks and government subsidies “affordable” is
generally defined as 80% of the cost of housing in the neighborhood or area.
Low income is defined terms of household income and size.

The U.S. government regards housing costs at or below 30% of one's income to be
affordable. So the definition in most cases will be in relation to your income.

> On Aug 19, 2016, at 9:46 PM, Virgil Huston <virgil.huston1955 [at] gmail.com>
> wrote:

> . My question is, is there anywhere in the US
> where cohousing is actually affordable for the unwashed masses?

The larger question is whether there is any ownership path for the unwashed
masses in any part of the US. We tend to believe that cohousing will solve all
the housing problems of the free world. Cohousing isn’t an alternative
construction scheme — or at least not radically different enough to solve any
construction costs. In fact with all the environmentally sustainable desires of
cohousers, it will be more expensive.

There were many hopes early on of building straw bale and native adobe
communities. This was not feasible in in urban and suburban  communities and
not even in small towns. Or even for the majority of those attracted to
cohousing.

My own explanation of why there is not more low cost housing in cohousing is
that communities get planned with the idea that a range of incomes will provide
the coverage to finance low cost units. I don’t think this is feasible. Low
income is socioeconomic, not just economic. By necessity, the daily social
expectations are very different. For parents it becomes latch key kids vs full
time nanny. And birthday parties with entertainment vs a birthday cake and
staying up late. Maybe with the child’s name on it.

The range of diversity in residential contexts can be stretched only so far.
People like to live with people like themselves. “Diversity” isn’t “maximum
possibile diversity.” Party animals don’t thrive next door to people who like
to read and drink wine in front of the fireplace. If one person believes that
granite counter tops in the CH is the only option and others think formica is
the best thing since plastic, the daily aesthetic and financial conflicts will
be too great to form a close community. Someone will be uncomfortable. They
might be friends in another context but living together is not the same thing
as being friends.

Thus I believe the only way to build low cost housing is to start with the
premise that everyone in the group will qualify for low income housing programs
or that the needs/wants will be limited to construction that is under a certain
cost per square foot.

If you are doing rehab, I think one standard would be that the building(s) has
to be livable when at least some of the people move in. Low income people can’t
afford to pay for renovations on top of paying for their current housing. There
is no cushion in low income households.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines