Re: Low Cost & Affordable Cohousing
From: Jude Foster (foster.judegmail.com)
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 10:26:51 -0700 (PDT)
This is just another piece of the puzzle, from another part of the country:
I live in a beautiful studio in Trillium Hollow Cohousing in Portland Oregon.
It’s officially less than 600 sq feet, though it has an added loft.  I
downsized twice in this community over the years, from a two-bedroom rental to
one-bedroom ownership and now the studio.  I paid $118,000 for this place;  I
sold my one-bedroom for $162,000.  In the very near future, one or two
one-bedroom units will offered for sale, somewhere in the $170,000 range.  And
this is in Portland, where rental and home costs are rising fast.

It doesn’t get much more affordable than this.  Plus we have almost four acres
of forest and gardens, a unique 3-story common house, a rich community life,
etc.    Fifteen minutes from downtown.  With a large, shared condo building,
rather than separate town houses, we kept much more of the property open to
nature, play, and shared living.  Absolutely unobtainable property except for
the wealthy, outside of the coho shared ownership model.

Always keep in mind that coho home prices include all the shared property, not
just the part inside the studs.

Jude, Trillium Hollow (watch our website for announcement of units for sale)