Affordable Cohousing
From: Susan Adams (sadams430gmail.com)
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 12:41:44 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,

I just can't wait any longer! Even though I don't have a great deal of data
to offer yet, I do have links.

Floyd Cohousing currently doing business as Jubilee, is en route to
becoming a housing cooperative.

If you want cohousing and affordability, I urge you to investigate the CoOp
option.  If you become a market equity Co-Op you can make some money when
you sell your home.  If you choose to become a limited equity Co-Op, you
will only recoup what you have spent, but your community will remain not
only affordable, but, depending on the market, often extremely affordable.

Construction loans, blanket loans, and share loans are all available to
Co-Ops.

Check out these links

http://www.rd.usda.gov/files/sr45.pdf     (very readable)

http://coophousing.org/resources/owning-a-cooperative/buying-into-a-housing-cooperative/#paragraph14

http://sharedcapital.coop/about/  (very impressive lending institution)

http://www.uwcc.wisc.edu/pdf/Cooperative%20Equity%20and%20Ownership.pdf

I was a little daunted by the possibility of complicated book keeping, so
followed a recommendation to call a CPA in Wisconsin who specializes in
Co-Ops.  It wasn't the first time (or the second) that a professional
offered to spend several hours with us in a conference call without
charge!  I commented on that to him...and his reply was  "anyone who works
with co-ops wants to help more co-ops happen."  Not the first time that
co-ops sounded like cohousing!

You probably won't be the first cohousing co-op, but you might be the
second!

Susan

--
*www.jubileecoho.com <http://www.jubileecoho.com>*