Re: Affordable Cohousing
From: Kay Wilson (kwilsonfiskcomcast.net)
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 14:13:24 -0700 (PDT)
Just a cautionary note. When we were preparing for construction
of our community about 11 years ago, we hired a highly respected
local contractor to oversee the project. When he learned that we
were considering the co-op option, he recommended that we use the
condominium structure instead because, he warned, our local banks
were not familiar with the co-op legal structure, and might not
be willing to give us a construction loan.

That turned out to be good advice, because as soon as our local
banks learned we were developing something called "cohousing,"
there was only one bank in our county that was willing to give us
a construction loan even though they were comfortable with
condominium loans - they were skittish about the strange
(communistic-sounding) structure called "co-housing." So you
might want to talk with your local bankers about a co-op
construction loan before you make your decision.

Kay Wilson
Meadow Wood Cohousing
www.mwcondo.com