Re: Regarding Affordability in Cohousing - not just cohousing but it IS possible
From: Liz Ryan Cole (lizryancoleme.com)
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2016 05:21:16 -0700 (PDT)
For those people following this thread on affordability (and don’t forget to
find all the older posts that have been archived)… the issue of affordability
is not limited to cohousing.  For anyone considering new construction of any
sort, you will do well to build for $180 per sf or less (and that takes modular
construction options into account).  In addition to the actual construction of
your unit and the common space, you have to pay for site work, not to mention
actually buying the land you will be building on.

One way cohousers reduce cost is that the developer’s fee (15% is not unusual)
if often waived when one or more “burning souls” decide that it is so important
to build that they will do the work a professional developer does for no cost
(this is not a path I have seen work well, but it is a way some groups save
money)

Another way to reduce cost is to reduce the actual building cost, but that
means paying the people actually working on your building less, and they are
entitled to a reasonable income to support themselves and their own families
on.

Another way is to have the land donated, or sold at reduced cost, and some
cohousing groups appeal to one donor or another and can reduce that part of
their cost. There are a number of communities that have been able to include
much less expensive units because the land cost has been subsidized.

But overall, the problem is not that housing is so expensive, but that people
in the US earn so little and taxes on the top 5% are so low that there is
insufficient money for government help in housing (not to mention other areas).

If people in the cohousing world are interested in helping more people be able
to afford to live in cohousing they need to work (and this includes working for
political candidates) to improve housing programs at the federal and state and
local level - and this can be as modest as getting elected or appointed to a
town Planning or Zoning Board so that you can work to allow for clustered and
“dense” development, which makes it possible to reduce overall housing costs
because there will be more people who can afford to share the cost to purchase
the land.  You could also work for candidates who believe that people in higher
income categories should pay more in taxes, and that those taxes could be spent
to provide for infrastructure (can you tell I am a proud Vermonter who has
supporter Bernie for decades?) :)

HOWEVER Having said all that, cohousing STILL has the potential to provide well
built homes at a price that is lower overall than what you would pay to build a
traditional home. Cohousers build a smaller home and still live comfortably
when they build sufficient common space.

The median household income for the United States was $53,657 in 2014. A
household earning $55,000 could devote $18,500 per year to housing and be
“affordable” (the goal is no more than 30% of income to housing)  $1500 per
month is 30% of the annual income of the family earning the median.

If your building costs average $180 per sf - and residents accept living in
small homes (assume 300 sf for one person/2 people would share a 600 sf unit
and your group adds another 250 sf for each person for common space) you could
build for about $120K.  (I assume 30 people living in community - at 250 sf
each you could build 7500 of common space and don’t forget to assume at least
20% for circulation).

These calculations don’t count site work, or buying the land, but it shows what
you might be able to do if you don’t have high costs for professionals, or long
term carrying costs.  Assume you could build a 600 sf unit in a community with
15 units and 7500 of common space for $170K.

If you borrow $150,000 at 4.5% for 30 years your monthly cost is $760 and your
annual cost $9,120.

So don’t be discouraged, find some like minded people, get an experienced
cohousing developer, and start to build your community.

  :)  liz
(*whose NH town, where are plan to build has effective 25 acre zoning)

Liz Ryan Cole
lizryancole [at] me.com
Pinnacle Cohousing at Loch Lyme Lodge
Lyme, NH
Home 802.785.4124
Work 802.831.1240
Loch Lyme Lodge 603-795-2141

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire
to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

On Aug 21, 2016, at 1:38 AM, carol collier via Cohousing-L <cohousing-l [at]