Re: Regarding Affordability in Cohousing
From: Lynne Markell (lmarkellrogers.com)
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 11:54:38 -0700 (PDT)
We are planning a seniors cohousing project in Ottawa, Ontario and are
committed to the principle of affordability.
One way we plan to do this is by using an equity co-operative structure  that
has a limitation on the resale price of shares ( not market value, but a
smaller gain) so that over time our units become more affordable.  The first
buyers  pay almost the same as market because of new construction costs in a
city, but over time the share prices will be lower than condos and more
moderate and fixed income seniors can live there.

The second way is to have a portion of the units be rental and find ways to
have some reduced rents, through member loans, outside investors, grants, or
municipal government concessions.  A recent cohousing project in Manitoba had
the provincial and municipal governments provide various subsidies to reduce
housing costs. In this one, the local credit union provided favourable
financing as well.

It is not easy, but our philosophy is that by having senior homeowners carry
most of the project, we can enable some more modest housing charges for some.
People will be community members no matter what and have equal rights.

The key is putting aside the desire to make money on your housing.  Instead we
need to look at our new housing as buying a collective and supportive
lifestyle. We will need to get our capital out as we move to the next stage,
but in the meanwhile, we will be getting our money's worth through aging in
community.
Lynne

Lynne Markell,
Lmarkell [at] rogers.com