Re: Regarding Affordability in Cohousing
From: Virgil Huston (virgil.huston1955gmail.com)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 16:27:42 -0700 (PDT)
Gayle,
I like this idea. I have the grand visions of a multigenerational
community that has young families all the way to hospice and
everything in between, where elders are valued and may be productive
as long as possible, as well as being taken care of when that time
comes. Helping with children while the young adults help with sick and
infirm, for example. Being teachers in homeschool situations (or after
school) while parent(s) work, like a hamlet in old Europe (these were
more extended families I guess). You can buy entire villages in Spain
and hamlets all over Europe. I don't think this is really cohousing as
I understand it. It has many aspects of commune, but each unit has its
own living space. I see much more required working and eating and
hanging out together. Including even enterprises on the place where
members make a living. This could also make it affordable. Not sure
what this model might be. I have followed this list a long time and I
see cohousing as more of a gated community country club style thing
than a "real" community. I do not mean to offend by this, different
strokes for different folks, and I might be misunderstanding. I liked
a shared interest concept, too. I am an old(er) hippie and my wife and
I are pretty isolated. I would love a place to live where it would be
cool to get together to couchsurf a Dead and Company show, have a
small stage where people can jam, etc. There are many variations of
the special interest thing.
Cheers,
Virgil