WaPo article about aging without kids
From: Katie Henry (katie-henryatt.net)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 11:31:55 -0700 (PDT)
A nice article in the Washington Post about a subject of great interest to me
-- aging without kids. Cohousing is mentioned in the comments.

Aging Solo: Okay, I don’t have a child to help me, but I do have a plan

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/aging-solo-okay-i-dont-have-a-child-to-help-me-but-i-do-have-a-plan/2016/08/15/2af75e9a-49c7-11e6-90a8-fb84201e0645_story.html

After watching my outgoing, ever optimistic mother madly flounder in a posh
Tampa assisted-living facility, I pulled her out to care for her in my small,
two-bedroom apartment. Since 2014, I’ve learned something vital: It’s better to
plan a more personal assisted-living future with your own friends while in your
50s or 60s. That will give you time to choose a location with diverse people
and culture, with neighborhoods that have sidewalks and public transit.

Sharing resources can spawn all sorts of possibilities. Maybe my posse grabs
several apartments in rental, condo or co-op buildings, or we share a group
house in D.C., Manhattan or L.A. Heck, maybe we can find a way to lease a floor
in one of the many overbuilt office buildings around the country. Perhaps (if
yours is an anti-urban posse) you can hire an architect to design space-age
yurts in Arizona. Each madly hip structure would be self-contained, but the
colony would have a common dining hall, gym and tech-support center, or
whatever your future selves desire.