Re: WaPo article about aging without kids
From: Virgil Huston (virgil.huston1955gmail.com)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 19:44:21 -0700 (PDT)
I have learned watching my wife (and myself by default) be the
caretaker for parents that I will never put my children in this
position. It destroys people and usually one kid gets their life
ruined while the others provide no financial, physical, or moral
support. They are, however, totally interested in any money that might
be available after their parent is gone. I am a vet and I will go into
the VA before I do this to my kids (for you non-vets, the VA sucks). I
will be homeless (with my dog, that is essential). I completely agree
that we of a certain age need to plan for our old age and cohousing
with like minded people is attractive. However, I am not sure it is
the answer. I have seen stuff about old folks being basically kicked
out of cohousing because they can't contribute as they are expected
to. Or they can't afford the condo fees anymore. We need cohousing
that works from fully able adult to hospice. Maybe this is not
cohousing. Maybe it is more of a commune. Seems like a great idea, but
it also seems like there is cohousing where they have issues with
getting people to participate in a common meal twice a week. At my
age, I think about this stuff all the time. My mother-in-law just
passed and we were alone in taking care of her for years. The last
thing I want is to move into some housing place where I get kicked out
if I get sick. Seems like cohousing is not the replacement for
avoiding a nursing home, at least not in the US.
Virgil