Re: WaPo article about aging without kids
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 07:01:21 -0700 (PDT)
Watching my in-laws refuse to be helped such that they are now stuck far away
and not healthy enough to be moved….(and my parents are younger but refusing
also to be helped.)

and watching a coho neighbor refuse to be helped

and then this message which I think says “I’d rather be homeless than have my
kids help me”

suggests that part of the problem is that I need to learn how to let other
people do the help that they *can* do.

At the same time, if I can’t pay my mortgage, or I can’t pay my condo fee, and
I haven’t made arrangements around that, I don’t see how the rest of the coho
community is supposed to rescue me? Should they use their own retirement
savings?

If its just me that did that, I can’t imagine they’d kick me out for non-condo
fee payment (they would put a lien on the house get that money back when the
house is sold).
But the bank will mostly certainly foreclose on me—which is not the communities
fault, right?

But if 10 of us failed to pay our condo fee, the community couldn’t survive
without doing something to get paid.

As a 55 year old adult without kids, my reaction to the WP article is that I’m
not sure what my friends can do if I become like my in-laws or parents. Both
that non-family can’t make medical decisions for me, can’t push me out of my
home, and if I won’t listen, they can’t make me accept the help I may need.

-Liz
(The Rev.) Elizabeth M. Magill
www.ecclesiaministriesmission.org
www.mosaic-commons.org