Re: Car Charger Hazard
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2016 06:21:28 -0700 (PDT)
> On Aug 26, 2016, at 11:13 PM, Ann Zabaldo <zabaldo [at] earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> I Googled:  Electric car charging station fire hazards.  This is what I found:
>
> https://www.google.com/?client=safari#q=fires+involving+electric+car+chargingi+stations

Thank you, Ann. I  looked at a few of these and found some interesting
information. The National Fire Protection Association indexed 10 pages of
articles from their newsletter. You can’t see them unless you are a member but
the excerpts all refer to cars on the road and what firefighters have to know.
An important thing about electric cars and hybrids is that they may be on and
making no noise. Thus when a firefighter touches a motor or whatever they can
get shocked. Getting shocked seems to be the biggest danger.

The charging station is just a plug and needs to be housed and maintained just
like the plugs in the house. Just like the toaster plug, it has to be covered
securely and placed where you aren’t going to pour water into it.

I also found this:

Electric vehicles have been around for over 180 years.  Though the inventor of
the first EV is uncertain, they have been traced back as early as 1828 when
Hungarian Ányos Jedlik made a model car that was propelled by a small electric
engine.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
"We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities." Walt Kelly