Re: Article: "Dorms for Grownups: A Solution for Lonely Millennials?"
From: Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 12:06:15 -0700 (PDT)
The single family home, and the condominium within a professionally managed
building, remain our two primary models for residential accommodation.  Of
late, there is considerable — although not yet widely accepted —
experimentation in variations that involve less privatized amenity and more
shared common facility.  In the eldercare sub-market, retirement housing,
assisted living and congregate care have advanced in sophistication; the floor
plan shown in the Atlantic article might be dorm-like for the youthful, but
would be understood as a variant of congregate care if serving seniors.

But I would have to argue that, no matter what the floor plan looks like, if
the membership of the group, household participation in shared activities, and
the common amenities are not managed ("governed") by the residents themselves,
then it can't be cohousing.  It's just another form of either custodial care,
or else high-income opportunity where one chooses to pay somebody else to sort
things out and keep them running.  Cohousing is made by values and behavior,
not by architecture.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Cohousing