Re: Affordable housing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 08:58:38 -0700 (PDT)
> On Sep 6, 2016, at 11:33 AM, Eris Weaver <eris [at] erisweaver.info> wrote:
>
> to be sold to someone with "moderate" income,
> which in our area is defined as $69,350 for one person or $79,300 for two
> people!

This is why I post so often to remind people that “affordable” is often used as
if it meant low income. It doesn’t. It’s more like median, average, middle,
moderate. And varies considerably by geographic area.

The Pew Research Center has a very nice calculator for determining your income
class in your area.

https://hec.su/eCU6

The wikipedia article has more information on how income is measured.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_States

> The Census Bureau estimated real median household income at $53,657 for 2014
> and $54,462 in 2015. Household income varies by race, with Asians the highest
> in 2014 at over $74,000 and African Americans the lowest around $35,000.

Median, as we all know, is where 50%  are above and 50% below.

Although it is reported as “household” the median income per household is
really per adult over15 in the household.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC