Re: How does your community handle internal communications?
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 11:56:32 -0700 (PDT)
When Cornerstone first formed 15 years ago, it decided that critical internal
communications should always be in the form of paper tacked to the main
bulletin board, and/or inserted as 32 multiple copies into the “internal mail
boxes” (document slots for each unit).  The thinking at the time was, Well,
maybe not everyone has a computer or knows how to use it, so paper is more
democratic.  (That time was 2001.)

Over time, the seductions of electronics — ease, reliability, speed,
conservation of trees — led the community to drift into e-mail as the primary
and often only form of critical communication.  We never revoked the earlier
policy favoring paper, we just started ignoring it.  And moving further along,
it became clear that the issues of storage, search and retrieval were not well
addressed by e-mail alone, so we archive critical documents and records on the
website, and currently, are in an unsanctioned experiment with Google Docs.
Twenty years from now, my successors may be experimenting with embedded
chip-supported telepathy, who knows?

Anyway, some advice about e-mail:
Set up one list for critical business e-mail, which will be mostly agendas of
upcoming meetings, and minutes of those meetings.  Proposal texts (.pdfs,
.docxs, etc) can be attached, or URLed to the website or Google Docs.  Every
member should be paying attention to this distribution list.
Maintain at least one other e-mail list for “unofficial” communications:
general conversation, offers of freebies, pleas for assistance, complaints,
debates, insults and apologies, whatever.  Some members may choose to not
subscribe to this list; others may subscribe, but read it only rarely.
Try to prevent dialog, debate and argument from taking place on the first,
critical business list.  If members want to argue the pros and cons of going to
all vegan meals as proposed, that back-and-forth debate should take place on
the “unofficial” list (where random personal opinions are always welcome).
Finally, consider setting up lists for committees and subcommittees.  People
who want to discuss weeding and pruning, for instance, can subscribe to the
Landscape Committee list; other people may be interested in the Finance
Committee, the Commons Committee … or no committee at all (except when the
“official” agenda and minutes are posted).
Avoid redundant systems that oblige you to post paper as well as electronics.
But … make sure that all your members understand how you’ve structured e-mail
communications, and can readily access the posts that concern them.  If you
really have a member who does not have a computer, or doesn’t know how to use
one (it could happen), you may need to treat him/her as a special case.
Community calendars, and storage and retrieval of official documents, are
topics for another time.  I am not a user of LinkFace, TwitBook or other social
media services, so I cannot comment on them.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing
Cambridge, MA

(Been to Vancouver twice: a great city.)