Re: New diversity statement
From: Crystal Farmer (crystalbyrdfarmergmail.com)
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 14:56:58 -0700 (PDT)
I'm responding to Tiffany's request to respond to the new statement as a
person of color. I've already said a lot on this topic. The statement says
to me, "There are no black people here. If they are, they certainly aren't
'black' black." Despite the statistics, and even after reading that other
groups have had it bad, I still believe diversity should be spelled out and
actively welcomed. Instead of addressing the lack of racial diversity,
Takoma Village wants you to know there are early birds in their community.

I'll add a new thought: when people are not used to addressing something,
it feels like "too much" or stating the obvious when you say you welcome
all races and backgrounds. It may feel tiresome to acknowledge that you are
open. You think, "I've never had a problem with another race." But we in
the minority have met many people with a problem. Reading a statement that
is clear and explicit is like a breath of fresh air. I'll still reserve
judgment until I see if their actions reflect their words, but at least I
feel acknowledged.

Crystal Farmer
Charlotte Cohousing Community