Re: New diversity statement
From: Katie Henry (katie-henryatt.net)
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 14:17:33 -0700 (PDT)
At my former community, in the DC area, we had a decent number of African
American members. They had zero interest in participating in diversity
discussions or serving as poster children for the community. We had
well-intentioned white members who would bring it up periodically, and it would
really piss them off. They just wanted to live their lives.

Katie Henry

--------------------------Eris Weaver wrote:

Yes, and let me tell you, sometimes it just really sucks to be the only one of
something (AKA "token"). You end up being expected to somehow "represent" for
all of your group, and you are the only one calling out members of the dominant
group on their shit/assumptions/microagressions, and it can just be exhausting.
And I'm sure it's nowhere near so bad for me as a dyke in the SF Bay Area as it
is for an African American person in most of our communities.