Re: New diversity statement
From: Katie Henry (katie-henryatt.net)
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 17:34:47 -0700 (PDT)
Based on my experience managing outreach for a forming community in the DC
area, I've come to the conclusion that cohousers may want diversity, but
"minorities" (for lack of a better umbrella term) don't necessarily want more
community. For starters, they're more likely to either stay close to home and
family or bring family with them if they move. Either way, they'll also be
deeply involved in cultural and/or religious organizations.

For example, your typical home-buying African American female in the DC area
will have a demanding job, will have extended family in the area (or maybe in
southern VA or NC, where she will visit often), will be very active in a
church, and will also be involved with her college sorority. Is she really
going to be looking for another set of commitments and activities when she
comes home from a long day at work? Especially involving a bunch of earnest
liberals trying to excise their white guilt?

White people are the ones who leave their families and move cross-country all
by themselves and find themselves rootless and lonely and seeking community.

Of course there will be exceptions to everything I've said, and maybe I'm
completely wrong, but I spent way too much time trying to explain cohousing to
people who were clearly thinking "Why on earth would I want to get involved in
something like that?" Then I started marketing to the LGBTQ community and got a
much better reception.

Katie Henry