Re: Members who are gone a lot
From: Alice Alexander (alicecohousgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 08:36:06 -0700 (PDT)
Yes, while Coho/US doesn't have research to back this up, I'm sensing that
communities with members who travel for extended periods up to 3 months
perhaps may be becoming more common, no doubt driven by baby boomers with
discretionary income, and the itch to have more life experiences!

One of the benefits of cohousing for members is being able to travel with
the security of your home being watched and your plants being watered.
However, the downsides to the community include fewer people to attend to
daily maintenance needs and work sharing, and the missing the community of
these folks.

In my own Durham Coho, I applaud the travels of my neighbors who are
occasionally are gone for a month or three, yet I do miss their company
when they are away! As a community, we have functioned well with periodic
travelers, who jump back in to community work and social opportunities when
they return.

I would welcome hearing other community experiences and how this is
addressed if it is an issue.
Alice Alexander, Coho/US Executive Director