Re: New diversity statement
From: Alice Alexander (alicecohousgmail.com)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 11:17:58 -0700 (PDT)
Thank you Crystal, I agree with your statement:
It is very typical for black people to be told what their experience is instead
of others listening to them.

However, while Katie's profile of some of the challenges of attracting
African Americans to cohousing may be valid, I don't believe that Katie or
the many of us who reach out to diverse communities overlay those views on
anyone. I would like to think and assume that we are all welcoming at our
respective farmer market tables, and that we engage in creative marketing
strategies to reach diverse communities! Katie is voicing a frustration, in
which I sympathize.

That said, I am pleased to see diversity blooming in several forming
cohousing groups, in which for some, the diversity isn't a big deal.
Alice Alexander, Coho/US Executive Director

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 1:51 PM, Crystal Farmer <crystalbyrdfarmer [at]
gmail.com