Re: New diversity statement
From: Tiffany Lee Brown (magdalen23gmail.com)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 21:48:30 -0700 (PDT)
Mira, I recently moved away from Portland and what you describe is common in
many communities there, not just cohousing situations. It is a bizarrely
racist/segregated place given how liberal it also is.

 People from more sophisticated, integrated, diverse cities arrive and are
often confused and shocked. I grew up in Oregon but lived in the Bay Area for
college. Moving to Portland in 1995, I was shocked and confused by the
segregation too.

It's getting better, believe it or not, but the whole state was founded on
explicit racism, and there's a long history of tight-lipped, polite, white
Protestant pioneers whose descendants are still somewhat horrified by any
discussion that is too blunt and passionate---whether the conversation is about
race or something else entirely. A generally passive-aggressive climate of
folks just trying to get along can lead to denial and refusal to really deal
with thorny or uncomfortable issues.

Mind you, I love Oregon, but I'm aware that I am pasty, pasty white and part of
the problem. We have moved to the dry side of Oregon now, for health reasons,
which is a largely rural marshmallow land. If I ever succeed in helping start a
co-housing or other community living situation here in Central Oregon? I would
hope we'd recruit among diverse communities outside the region. But sheesh, I
would not blame any of them for turning up their noses at the idea of moving
here.

How much does a lack of racial or ethnic diversity in urban cohousing
communities reflect the general attitudes and demographics of those
communities, does anyone know?

-T in Oregon

PS: Mira - no credit goes to me for bringing up these issues; I was just
responding to posts made by others who actually know what they're taking about,
because they are people of color in co-housing. I'm just a
wannabe-community-houser of privilege  with a big mouth.

Sent from the far shores of a distant land