New diversity statement
From: Juliette Corazón (jrcorazon22gmail.com)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 05:30:42 -0700 (PDT)
Ditto to what Crystal and Carol said, and thank you, ladies, for saying it. I
am another person of color and a lesbian  (please note: many despise the "M
word") on this list. Others, I appreciate you are trying to learn, so I
encourage you to pipe down and take note to what they are saying. You are being
offered precious and practical feedback on how to build a healthier and more
just community.

I love cohousing - have been involved on and off since 1992 - and have lived in
cohousing since 2009. There are pieces of it that feel like home to me - like
some aspects of neighborhood life in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico when I was growing
up: strong communal sensibility and working together, some sharing of resources
and caring for neighbors. I carried that over into my communal lesbian
households - mostly with white women-  as a young person. Those of us fortunate
enough to have experience with community-oriented environments don't have to be
sold on cohousing as a new concept. Telling stories about your community
experiences will resonate with us. When searching for a community, I needed a
place where I knew I could express the many different facets of me, be
respected as a whole person, and have allies to help me deal with or run
interference on the occasional stupid comment. ( Thank you, T in Oregon.)

Please note that we come from many belief systems and backgrounds . Just
because the census may label us in a category doesn't mean we are all the same,
any more than white or straight people are. Most of my middle-class and mixed
race family lives far away, and I am not a church person. BTW, my family loves
to visit my community, too.

Juliette Corazón
EcoVillage at Ithaca
Which has a small and growing presence of Asian and Asian-American,
African-American, Latina/o, LGBT and disabled folk within an intergenerational,
mostly middle-class community of interesting,  generous, creative and active
human beings in upstate New York :)

Sent from my phone