Re: marketing Aria Cohousing in Denver to families
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2016 03:52:23 -0700 (PDT)
Actually, there is a lot of construction technology available for effective
noise mitigation.  For instance, in wood frame construction, there is the
option of including a subfloor of 1” or 1 1/2” thick “Gyp Crete” or
“cementitious underlayment”.  Combine this with a ceiling hung on resilient
clips (not nailed direct to the floor structure), and acoustic isolation
between units gets pretty good.  “Extra” cost is the main reason why this very
routine technology gets squeezed out of the project construction budget.

The building I live in is an elevatored, four story wood frame construction
with the usual common egress stairs.  But the unit layouts feature a number of
un-flats:  larger apartments divided into two stories with an internal stair.
Frankly, I’ve never much understood this approach:  The additional unit stairs
consume space and add cost, and make much of the apartment inaccessible to the
mobility-impaired.  In my opinion, the identical floor areas would be more
useful if kept in the flat-over-flat format.  With proper sound isolation, of
course.  Eliminating the internal stairs could go a long way to paying for the
Gyp Crete.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing