Re: marketing Aria Cohousing in Denver to families
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2016 02:26:03 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Mabel —

Yes, in a four story apartment building, there may be an apparent benefit in
making single units out of floors three and four, combined via an internal unit
stair.  This eliminates not just one elevator stop, but also egress stairs and
corridors for the top floor.  So at the fourth floor, “unsellable” common space
paid for by all gets converted to “sellable" condo floor area.  Is this a plus?
 Maybe for the community — although the expense and nuisance of interior
vertical circulation then gets transferred from the community to the dwelling
unit.

And Yes, I know that the finalized architectural design had to comply with a
building footprint that got jammed up in an approval process.  Even so, I’ve
never quite followed why there is a two-story unit accessed from the first
floor, and two two-story units, from the second.  I do know that our current
1000 sq ft single level apartment works much better than our former single
family house, which was 1500 sq ft with a winder to the second level.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing
Cambridge, MA

PS: And thank you for being such a quiet overhead neighbor.