Soundproofing [was marketing Aria Cohousing in Denver to families
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2016 09:44:30 -0700 (PDT)
> On Oct 1, 2016, at 11:17 AM, Beverly Jones Redekop <beverly.jones.redekop
> [at] gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You can't expect someone to live with disruptive noise (below), but you can't
> expect people to be silent and motionless in their own homes (above) either.
> We've had a few senior households complain bitterly about awful children
> above them when it would have been more appropriate to complain about the
> building design and to cost-check remediation/renovation solutions.

We have also had problems side to side. One person likes to grind coffee in her
bedroom in the morning. Her neighbors put in a soundproofing wall with the
agreement that she would put in more on her side if it was still a problem. I
would have done it the other way but it was a good solution.

My upstairs neighbor asked if there was anything he did that bothered me. I
said, Well the closet door is right above my head when I’m sleeping. When it
slides open at 5:00 am it often wakes me up, but there is nothing you can do
about that. He said, Yes there is. I can just leave it open. It was a wonderful
and simple solution.

One person put in cork floors which helped a lot. One reason to stack two-floor
units is that if the living areas are on the first floors of both units, the
bedrooms are sandwiched in between. If both households sleep on the same
schedule they are normally buffered by one floor. Many condos have a rule that
80% of the floor surfaces have to be carpeted. No one checks on the 80% unless
there are noise complaints.

A discussion of these issues as a group might produce many helpful solutions.
Many people are totally unaware that their noise is bothering others and is
avoidable. I won’t go into the story about the guy who was running laps in his
living room at midnight.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Historic Takoma Park
In Washington DC, Where all roads lead to Casablanca