Re: Groups.io [was How does your community handle internal communications?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 06:39:45 -0700 (PDT)
> On Oct 6, 2016, at 11:01 AM, Jenny Guy <jenstermeister [at] gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ​Yes, I think there are several factors at play when people say they can't
> keep up with community e-mails, and of course one is genuine e-mail
> overwhelm​. However, when you're working so hard on the project, and in
> addition to some folks not pitching in much, they can't even give you the
> support of paying attention and tracking what's going on… seriously?
>
> I get super overwhelmed with e-mails sometimes, so I understand that
> concern, but it somehow seems out of proportion.

Yes. That’s the feeling — Seriously?

Another point on not keeping up with what is going on in the community is that
people aren’t educating themselves. Writing email updates and asking questions
is (1) best way to keep everyone educated, (2) to be inclusive, and (3) to have
a written record. It’s fast and simple. You don’t have to go searching through
a wiki or find a form in order to record the arrival of the dishwasher in just
the right way.

It’s the conflict between the dreams of cohousing sometimes and the reality of
we are doing this ourselves. It takes all of us paying attention.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC