Re: Electric smooth top stove in common house?
From: Mike Mariano (Mikeschemataworkshop.com)
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 10:14:33 -0700 (PDT)
Our community is doing meals 3 nights/week, serving around 25, with a 36" wide
smooth electric cooktop that's been working just fine:
http://products.geappliances.com/appliance/gea-specs/PP7036DJBB

In our own homes, a number of us used our appliance allowance as a credit
toward purchasing 30" electric induction cooktops, which I would highly
recommend...it was out of the price range for the Common House at the time,
unfortunately.

Definitely do NOT go with gas for a new building: carbon monoxide is generated
from burning any gas, and it's incredibly bad for indoor air quality. Induction
is far more energy efficient and doesn't negatively affect air quality.
Induction heats very quickly, doesn't bake spills and such onto the ceramic
cooktop surface (because it's the pan the heats up and not the cooktop), and we
saw it used with success at some cohousing communities visited in the UK last
fall.

Mike
www.capitolhillurbancohousing.org

michael mariano aia | schemata workshop