Re: Non-profit entities
From: Tiffany Lee Brown (magdalen23gmail.com)
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 09:21:03 -0700 (PDT)
I run a small nonprofit, and I do not have the cohousing experience. However I
thought a little feedback from me might be helpful anyway.

One of the best ways to approach the question, "Should we start a nonprofit?"
is to try it out first by finding a fiscal sponsor. fiscal sponsorship involves
an existing 501(c)(3) agreeing to act as your fiscal sponsor, generally taking
about 10% off the top of any revenue you generate through them. Your goals
should roughly align with their mission statement, but you are not considered
part of their programming.

The fiscal sponsor can issue donation receipts to your donors, to be written
off on their taxes in many cases, and takes care of the higher level
bookkeeping and administrative tasks and costs associated with running a
501(c)(3). In some ways these expenses and activities don't seem like a whole
lot, but when you are doing them, they can end up running your life. It can be
nice to have someone else doing it for you. You would want to ask the fiscal
sponsor whether they could except funds on your behalf from certain foundations
and individuals you plan to target, in case they feel there is a conflict
between their own interests and yours.

After a year of working with the fiscal sponsor, you should have a much clearer
idea of whether your group should go ahead and go through the slog of becoming
a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.

Also keep in mind that the board of directors must not profit in anyway from
the activities of the organization. I am not a lawyer, but I would guess that
your group would want to have goals such as helping the community at large, not
making your cohousing space better in order to increase your own property
values. I would be interested to hear what more experienced cohousers say about
using a 501(c)(3) structure.

T in Oregon

Sent from the far shores of a distant land