Re: Electric smooth top stove in common house?
From: PatZy (pzboomaol.com)
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 09:20:35 -0700 (PDT)
We here at Mountain View Coho chose to go with gas, largely I think because it
was the best cooking method we were familiar with.  We have a 6-burner gas
range in the common house and most homes went with gas.  A very few of us chose
induction as an upgrade option - which I now wish we’d chosen for all.  It is
AMAZINGLY powerful and responsive, as good or better than gas - and I cooked in
restaurant kitchens for a number of years so I know cooktops.  It also doesn’t
have the drawbacks of gas which include extra cost to bring in gas lines (if
not using gas elsewhere), indoor air quality, and also a significant safety
factor.  Induction will never kill us, be it via fumes or fire - and as we all
grow older (and more forgetful) this could become more important as time goes
on.  Two drawbacks I can think of:  you need magnetic pans (a one-time expense)
and it probably isn’t wise to shake a saute pan directly on the glass surface -
I’ve had to train myself to lift it and shake it, then set it back down
(learning curve).  I highly recommend that you at least see a good demo of
induction.  It is the wave of the future and is more sustainable than gas.
This is why it is used so much in Europe - the US is just starting to catch on.

I would never do standard electric for the common house.  Doesn’t have the
power or the responsiveness.

Patzy