fossil fuel divestment
From: hrb885 (hrb885gmail.com)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 13:26:33 -0700 (PDT)
I am writing to inquire whether any cohousing communities have chosen to divest
any of their operating or reserve monies from funds or banks that may support
fossil fuel investments.

At Eastern Village Cohousing in Maryland we recently made such a decision and
as a result are in the processing of transferring the proceedings of our CD’s
as they come due from Ameriprise to the Self Help credit union in North
Carolina. We heard about Self Help from one of our members as well as from the
Green America web site. We even have been able to receive a higher interest
rate through Self Help than we would have had we renewed with Ameriprise.

Our community spent several months vigorously discussing this move before a
decision was made at our Membership Circle meeting in August to go ahead with
the divestment.

I am not aware (at least based on a google search) of any cohousing or condo
association in the country that has taken such an action.

We thus hope that our action can be a catalyst to encourage other communities
to divest from fossil fuels as a means of raising consciousness about the need
for urgent action on climate change.

We are also thinking of proposing a panel on climate change for the 2017
national conference. If other communities have taken action on climate change
and would like to share what was done perhaps they can contact us to explore
participating in such a panel next year. In addition
we will be exploring what else we as a community can do to collectively fight
climate change, so any ideas would be welcome.

Herb Simmens