do you really value diversity?
From: Eris Weaver (eriserisweaver.info)
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 07:52:52 -0800 (PST)
In my seventeen years of cohousing - as a resident, facilitator, trainer, and consultant - one of the paradoxes I see over and over in CohoLand is the
tension between desiring diversity yet wanting to live with like-minded
folks. We kinda can't have it both ways...if you claim to value diversity, you need to include political and ideological diversity as well. (While cohousers do seem to skew left politically, I am quite sure there are not only some Republicans but
possibly Trump supporters among us.)

I am very aware of how frequently someone will say something along the lines of "I think we all agree that..." and all I can think of is that if there IS someone in the room who does NOT share that belief, the message they receive is "you don't belong here" and someone less assertive than I might just keep
their mouth shut and NOT share their diverse point of view. I try to
eliminate that sort of phrase from my speech, ESPECIALLY when I am up in the front of the room with the resulting extra power & influence that gives me.

I guess I'm asking for all of us to just be aware that not everyone in
cohousing thinks the same...

Eris Weaver
Founding member, FrogSong Cohousing in Cotati, CA
Graphic Facilitator & Group Process Consultant