Prioritizing conflict in cohousing
From: Mary Baker, Solid Communications (marysolid-communications.com)
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 11:35:47 -0800 (PST)
Hi all, I am finishing up a project I’ve been working on for some time called
the DIY Conflict Resolution Workbook, and would really appreciate your input on
the final chapter, which is about conflict in cohousing and ways to achieve
resolution and create positive ground maps for the future.
I’ll be discussing the following 12 things that people have submitted as
creating conflict in cohousing, and what I’d like to hear from you is which of
these factors you think occur most often, create the most divisiveness, or are
the most difficult to deal with. In other words, help me prioritize!

1.      Conflict avoidance

2.      Intolerance and lack of empathy for anger and acting out

3.      Absence of normal consequences—creating a vacuum that allows enabled
behavior

4.      Clashes in leadership styles

5.      Compelled behaviors and expectations

6.      Lack of sensitive conflict management (ignoring emotional pain)

7.      Gossip and internal cliques

8.      Non-transparent channels of communication—often caused by fear of
technology and digital communication

9.      Old Guard elitism

10.   Over-reacting to minor skirmishes

11.   Lack of clarity in expectations (includes emotional expectations)

12.   Lack of transparency about group history

Examples or illustrations from your own experience are always appreciated too,
but are not necessary.
Many thanks!
Mary