Re: Are some ideas wrong?
From: Crystal Farmer (crystalbyrdfarmergmail.com)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 04:53:08 -0800 (PST)
I agree with Patti that being able to accept different ideas is a key step
to accepting diversity. Some ideas are really horrible but every person who
thinks them is a human being. To make the direct connection to current
events: I live in Trump country but there are very few white supremacists
around me. So if they wanted to live in our cohousing community, I don't
think it would be right to subject them to an ideological test. If I hear
views I disagree with, we can talk about it. That's the next step in being
part of a diverse community--being able to have civil discussions without
anger or name calling.

Crystal Farmer
Charlotte Cohousing Community

Quote:

Perhaps some ideas are wrong. But there's also a reasonable possibility
that the ideas are not wrong. They are simply different/diverse. If a
person cannot live with people who do not think the way they do, they
cannot, by definition, handle diversity. The only kind of diversity they
are willing to accept is people who look different but think similarly.

I think this article explains this quite well.
https://medium.com/@SeanBlanda/the-other-side-is-not-dumb-2670c1294063#.wf81juamt

I truly believe until we understand this, we CAN'T appreciate diversity. To
think others' ideas are wrong without understanding them, means we do not
want to understand them.

My two cents.

Patti