Re: Are some ideas wrong?
From: Jessie Kome (jehakome.com)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 05:45:50 -0800 (PST)
Hi-

I agree with Crystal and Patti that the conservative voters I know saw the
choice this election differently than liberals, and I also think that engaging
in discussion with them about why they made their choice is going to be more
productive than projecting my (or anyone else's) values and judgment on them.

In thinking about diversity of thought, belief, and morality, I found this TED
talk piece about moral views of conservatives and liberals to be useful
background:
https://www.ted.com/talks/jonathan_haidt_on_the_moral_mind/transcript?language=en

I sometimes wonder if we struggle in cohousing with the in-group and authority
and purity dimensions of group dynamics because liberals have trouble
understanding that for half the population these are highly valued additional
dimensions of morality, in tension or balance with openness and limitation of
harm? (Maybe if we had more conservative values, we could keep the kids room
and the share closet clean?)

My two cents. YMMV.

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland
"Where we just celebrated another anniversary together with a big party."