Re: Diversity in the garden
From: John Carver (jcarverislandnet.com)
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 12:04:03 -0800 (PST)
On 24/11/2016 11:34 AM, David Davenport wrote:
Thinking about this some more, I want my community to be like a garden. I want
my garden to be clean and well-kept. I want lots of flowers. But not all of the
same kind of flowers - that would be boring. I want roses and petunias and
tulips and flowers that I don't know the names of. I want the flowers to all
smell nice (I know, nice is subjective) and I don't want one smell to
over-power the others. I don't want weeds (unless they have nice flowers) and I
certainly don't want poison ivy and its cousins. Vegetables are welcome and a
variety of even those I don't eat. That is the diversity that I want.

Dave
What others call weeds I call biodiversity.

I think that's a good analogy however. After all, do you want to get rid of weeds because they're different and you don't agree with their views, or is it because they're aggressive and deny other plants' right to peaceful coexistence?

John Carver
Pacific Gardens Cohousing <http://pacificgardens.ca/>
Nanaimo, BC
(where a broad array of west coast flora and fauna coexist peacefully)