Re: A very moving portrayal of the diversity element most difficult to include in cohousing
From: Crystal Farmer (crystalbyrdfarmergmail.com)
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 10:10:45 -0800 (PST)
Hi David,

Though I represent Charlotte Cohousing, I live in Gaston County which was
used by Five Thirty Eight as a picture of the white working class. It is
certainly possible to connect and build relationships with them, and even
to understand their perspective! I do that just by listening. It may be
hard not to interject and argue about facts, but you even have to realize
they operate from a different set of facts. So you won't get very far if
you have the intention of having a discussion about politics or policy.
Where you will connect is learning about their family, where they work, and
how life has been for them. Do they like their kids' schools? Have they
been laid off again? (We have a local auto plant that goes through the
cycles).

If you want to talk about cohousing, ask about their neighborhood. Do they
live in a particular part of town that your Realtors avoid showing? Have
you ever been there? But do they like their neighbors, do they feel a sense
of community, and are they happy? I think the answers to those questions
will make you think. For me it has inspired a lot of wondering about
"affordable" housing for people traditionally excluded from the real estate
market.

Crystal Farmer
Charlotte Cohousing Community

Message: 5