Beginning finances for cohousing
From: Janice Karpenick (jkarpenickgmail.com)
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 23:32:11 -0800 (PST)
We are just forming our coho group in Eugene, OR.  Currently, we are three
members in the core group.  We have a membership fee of $250, non-refundable.
We are looking at our next steps including marketing, outreach and basically
growing our membership.  We actually already have a site and it is currently
owned by one of the core group members.  I was interested in learning what
early steps you took in the formation of your cohousing groups in regard to
financing.

Specifically, did you collect funds other than the membership fee prior to the
actual unit purchases for incidentals, and if so, how much?  Were those
additional funds then subtracted from the eventual price of the unit purchased?

Did you have a graduated buy-in fee structure, meaning did subsequent members
pay more the later they joined?

Did your developer front the costs for the building and property?

Thanks for your help.
Janice