A very moving portrayal of the diversity element most
From: Ty Albright (tmalbrightverizon.net)
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 04:57:51 -0800 (PST)
Re:

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 13:30:48 -0500

From: David Heimann <heimann [at] theworld.com>

To: cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org

Subject: [C-L]_ A very moving portrayal of the diversity element most

          difficult to include in cohousing

www.nybooks.com/articles/2016/11/10/american-right-inside-the-sacrifice-zone

Thanks for sharing, this is a good first attempt but I must share that when
reading this article I was reminded of the African Safari ride at Disney
Land, it's like someone from a faraway land with a pith helmet showed up in
Louisiana and came back home with amazing stories, and quite a bit of
misinterpretation.  Overall, a good attempt from an "Berkeley Outsider" -
and the article does demonstrate that not every place in this country is the
same.

This story speaks about the Tea Party's as if it were some sort of actual
real organized political party.  It's not, and I do not know anyone who
refers to "the tea party" as something they belong to.  I believe this is
just an easy label some have come up with to explain a grass roots belief
system that has rejected the institutional political parties (both democrats
and republicans).

Culturally I must tell you that Southern Louisiana is a very unique place,
and cannot be directly compared to the rest of the Deep South, and certainly
not the mid-west.  There was a time in this country's founding where many
languages other than English were spoken, and they still speak creole in
parts of Louisiana; they also have some great Cajun food, Zydeco music and
friendly people (just don't show up unannounced or you risk getting shot).

If anyone wants to better understand about the culture of the Deep South I
recommend the documentary "Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus"

But beware, that regionally there are great cultural differences in fly over
country. Southern Louisiana is uniquely different from the Deep South, as is
the true mid-west, as is Texas, as is Oklahoma (formally Indian territory
where Andrew Jackson forcefully relocated multiple people groups to make
room for white settlement).  I believe these different sub-cultures are why
many still believe in the importance of "State Rights".

>From a cohousing perspective - these different cultures, in my opinion,
require a different approach for "forming community" than what may typically
work in other locations.

Ty

Ty Albright Project Management
Little Red Hen LLC
214-336-7952
 <mailto:tmalbright [at] verizon.net> tmalbright [at] verizon.net
 <http://www.linkedin.com/in/tmalbright> www.linkedin.com/in/tmalbright