Request input re: residence/transfer of ownership from our Legal Committee
From: Ruth J Hirsch (heidinysearthlink.net)
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 09:16:51 -0800 (PST)

Here's the question the Legal Committee would like to ask of other cohousing
communities:

Membership in our homeowner’s association is currently limited to the owners
(natural persons) of the houses.

Some members are interested in transferring  their houses to their children as
an estate planning technique. This would be done by either
 (1)  selling/giving the house to a child outright and remaining in the house
with the child’s permission,
or
(2) selling/giving the house to the child but retaining a life estate in the
house, meaning the parent would have a recordable property interest in living
in the house for life.

In either scenario, under our current bylaws, the child would be the owner and
therefore be the member.
We’re considering amending our bylaws and would like to know what other
communities allow.

Is this form of ownership permitted by your cohousing community?

If someone other than the resident owns the house, can the resident be a member
instead of the owner?

Have you investigated estate planning methods for transferring your houses, and
if so, what do you see as pros and cons? (Note: Several members have
transferred their houses to a living trust, and we haven't objected because the
member is the trustee of their trust, so ownership hasn't yet transferred to a
child or other person.)

Thanks,

Julie, Legal Committee
Cantines Island,  a Family Friendly Community
Saugerties

Where we have a family sized house available.  Please let others who might be
interested in a wonderful, beautiful, family friendly community in the
beautiful Hudson Valley know about this.
thank you

PS:  I have an intermittent e-mail glitch.  If you write and do not hear back
from me shortly, please call me or please re-send.  Thank you,  Ruth