Re: Are some ideas wrong?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 08:37:25 -0800 (PST)
> On Dec 9, 2016, at 9:18 AM, Ty Albright <tmalbright [at] verizon.net> wrote:
>
> Ideas and beliefs are typically based on personal experience and values.

Also on factual knowledge, understanding of history, etc.

> The concept of right and wrong /  good and bad is difficult to answer because
> this requires judgement based on perceived values , and individual values and
> judgement varies.

Ideas are related to desired or expected outcomes In a way that is often
overlooked. Individual judgements are related to assumptions about desired
outcomes. Beliefs about what following an idea will produce. If I follow the 10
commandments, I will be a good person and God will protect me.

What are the ideas related to living in a diverse community? What will happen?

> Possibly you should be asking a different question.    Possibly the preferred
> question is “what is best”.

"What is best? has the same relationship to an outcome. “Best" in accomplishing
what?

We discuss diversity (whatever it is) as if it is a given good but why? So we
don’t look like racists or conservatives?

One reason given for the ability to have harmonious socio-economic nations in
Scandinavia is that they are not diverse. Similarity, or perceived similarity,
reduces the conflict that we have in our highly diverse US.

In the diversity discussion, I don’t see statements of desired outcomes. Why
diversity?

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines