Re: Age-restricted access to common house?
From: Liz Ryan Cole (lizryancoleme.com)
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2016 19:37:14 -0800 (PST)
I hope people reply to this list with their answers.  I have not moved into our
cohousing community yet, but I am
a) the mother of 4 adult sons (and 4 grandchildren) and
b) am a veteran of collective living in my younger days,including when our sons
were children and
c) am part owner of a hospitality business where families come with children to
stay in our cabins and swim in our pond.

The one thing I would add to this conversation is some perspective —  that if a
community is going to worry about kids, they will find that people aged from 13
to 21 are going to find many more creative ways to get into trouble than any 9
year old -  (said with much love and many happy memories).

I know perfectly well that if my 9 year old grandsons are quiet for 15 minutes,
I am going to want to quietly check into what they are up to, and that if there
are three or four 15 year olds working together on a school project, that I’d
better be offering snacks, and wandering by on a regular basis.  At the very
least, a good argument for design that allows for spaces for adults to
work/read, etc. in the common house without being on top of the kids who view
the entire place as their home.

and if kids don’t follow the rules, shouldn’t the consequences be that they
lose privileges, not that all kids are penalized?

:)  liz

Liz Ryan Cole
lizryancole [at] me.com
Pinnacle Cohousing at Loch Lyme Lodge
Lyme, NH
Home 802.785.4124
Work 802.831.1240
Lodge 603-795-2141

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire
to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

On Dec 11, 2016, at 9:53 PM, Beverly Jones Redekop <beverly.jones.redekop [at]