Use of science/facts in decision making was violent video games in CH
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 09:12:20 -0800 (PST)
I saved this message oh so long ago (okay it was November) because I am
interested in a question—

Does your community use science and facts in your decision making?

That is, would someone present an article like the one Joanie offers in order
to argue a position about video games in the common house?
Would a discussion of using community wide wifi include scientific studies to
argue that it is safe?
In a discussion about locking or not locking the common house include data on
crime or the likelihood of danger to children?

Also, if some *do* use this information, do other people find their minds
changed by the data/research?

-Liz
(The Rev.) Elizabeth M. Magill
www.ecclesiaministriesmission.org
www.mosaic-commons.org
508-450-0431

> On Nov 30, 2016, at 10:19 PM, Joanie Connors <jvcphd [at] gmail.com> wrote:
>

> *Science Briefs*
>

> * Violent Video Games: Myths, Facts, and Unanswered Questions *
> *by Craig A. Anderson **Psychological Science Agenda*
>
> October 2003
> * Volume 16 . No. 5*

[snip]

> But
> when one combines all relevant empirical studies using meta-analytic
> techniques, five separate effects emerge with considerable consistency.
> Violent video games are significantly associated with: increased aggressive
> behavior, thoughts, and affect; increased physiological arousal; and
> decreased prosocial (helping) behavior.

[snip]

> Facts: Cartoonish and fantasy violence is often perceived (incorrectly) by
> parents and public policy makers as safe even for children. However,
> experimental studies with college students have consistently found
> increased aggression after exposure to clearly unrealistic and fantasy
> violent video games. Indeed, at least one recent study found significant
> increases in aggression by college students after playing E-rated (suitable
> for everyone) violent video games.
[snip]