Re: Use of science/facts in decision making
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 08:22:46 -0800 (PST)
> On Dec 31, 2016, at 1:09 AM, Mary English <mary.english [at] hsc.utah.edu>
> wrote:
>
> At Wasatch Cohousing we had a proposal being discussed and the facilitator
> said " no we are not going to pay any attention to the scientific data. This
> will be decided only by peoples feelings”

Sometimes it is hard to determine whether an issue should be based on facts but
facts to are often determined by feelings or feelings about which facts are
important. The issue can also one of values.

What are our preferences for the green? Do we prefer a play area that might
have bald areas but is used often. Or a nice grassy place that may be used
occasionally for ballgames or picnics but is kept looking like a golf course.
The facts may be that the bald places will soon expand to fill the area and the
soil erode. The decision made on the basis of feelings.

I’m curious what the issue was at Wasatch Commons that is was to be made only
feelings?

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines