Re: Use of science/facts in decision making was violent video games in CH
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 09:04:41 -0800 (PST)
> On Dec 30, 2016, at 12:12 PM, Elizabeth Magill <pastorlizm [at] gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Does your community use science and facts in your decision making?

We do regularly. Also the law. Ignoring the facts, research results, or the law
can make the community liable if permits the behavior.

In a recent decision on solar panels, a working group did all the research
about feasibility and best options. We have several people who work at the
Department of Energy and two engineers so we fully trusted their
recommendation. And we’ve wanted solar panels for years but research showed
that they were not a good purchase before. The community decision was do we
want to spend this much money? All the other questions had been answered.

We had gone on and on for years over a pet policy. The main issues were dogs on
leashes and outdoor cats. We finally grandfathered in the current outdoor cats
with their owners responsible for any damage or irritating behavior. Prohibited
future outdoor cats.

The dogs were harder. Based on previous experiences, we have several people who
are violently afraid of dogs—large or small. The idea of running into one off
leash with no owner in site was very upsetting. Some dog owners did not view
this as reason for their “children” to be on leashes because of irrational
feelings. (All our dogs were very tame.)

In our case we tend to give weight to the person a person is afraid to use the
property because of a dog running loose. We do the same for allergies, etc. But
in this case. the dog owners were not willing to give up their dog’s freedom.

Others said that the problem could come with a child hurting the dog and the
dog defending themselves by biting the child leaving permanent damage. A child
jumping on a dog that is sleeping on the green, for example. The owners
considered this the problem of the parent who should be supervising their child.

The dog owners said the city laws against dogs off leashes except in private
yards allowed us to leave them off leashes on our property.

The resolution came when someone talked to animal control. They said
condominiums are treated like public areas. If we permitted dogs to be off
leash, the whole Association would be liable for any injuries a dog caused for
whatever reason. That closed the discussion.

> In a discussion about locking or not locking the common house include data on
> crime or the likelihood of danger to children?

Yes, but some believe it is also possible for those parents who don’t want
their children in the CH unless it is locked to accompany them or keep them
home. Or to be sure that other adults are around.

We do have a locked CH (combination keypad) but we are in a city and have had
experiences with people gaining access even with locks. It was never considered
an option to have it unlocked. BUT one parent wanted all the small rooms locked
as well because someone could hide themselves in a small room and attack
children. That didn’t even get a discussed. It was so highly unlikely that it
wasn’t considered worth considering.

> Also, if some *do* use this information, do other people find their minds
> changed by the data/research?

Yes, but some feelings remain. “I don’t care if it is safe, I don’t want to
walk into the CH and see war games being played. And I don’t want it set as an
example for my 4-year-old.” An option, which we have, is a room where older
children can play as they like. Parents set the rules.

We have small children on small bikes, going very slowly with both feet on the
ground in an enclosed piazza. They are very unlikely to fall hard enough to
hurt themselves but they wear bike helmets so they both set an example and
develop the habit.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines