Re: Use of science/facts in decision making
From: Mary Baker, Solid Communications (marysolid-communications.com)
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 10:54:20 -0800 (PST)
I have encountered that kind of attitude as well. To me, it smacks of emotional
elitism. It certainly shuts down any embrace of diversity in communication and
cognitive styles.

But what I have also discovered is that if you make the facts available, people
will generally consider them quietly, in their own time, and slowly assimilate
them into their “feelings” on an issue. This is another reason it is useful to
have some brakes on the decision-making process, particularly for emotionally
charged topics. Emotional thinkers also do not like to be suddenly “confronted”
with facts and you do yourself no social favors by being the messenger IRL.
It’s useful to have a neutral place to post facts and studies, like a document
archive on your cohousing internal website, or on a discussion board, where you
can simply say, “I’ll just leave this here if you’re interested.”

Mary B.