Re: Use of science/facts in decision making
From: iggypopsa1 (iggypopsa1aol.com)
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2017 06:07:37 -0800 (PST)

Scientific debate can give the illusion that it is fact versus fact.  However,
when a field is in its infancy or when there are conflicting data, a debate is
at risk of degenerating into a purely emotional discussion where it becomes
less about the science and more about personal motivation.  It is then where
the strength of a community and the integrity of its people come to the
forefront.  In such situations, can there be a recognition that many facts
remain unknown and that there are points to be made on both sides?  Or does the
discussion become at risk of degenerating into one where parties accuse one
another of scientific illiteracy or innumeracy?  To me, whenever I find myself
resorting to denigrating another person's views in a field that has much to
still be learned, I know I need to step back, and re-focus not on the people I
am denigrating but on the underlying uncertainties of the science.